“CURZON Channels” means our cinemas, our membership scheme, our websites and apps. Our websites include the following including all mirror and derivative versions, ‘storefronts’, or applications:
If you have any questions regarding the processing of your personal information, please contact us (see point 17 below).
Other policies or terms and conditions may apply to you, please check all the terms and conditions relevant to your usage of the CURZON Channels or other good and services we offer you. For instance, if you are:
- using Curzon Home Cinema / Curzon on Demand, the Terms and Conditions also apply to you.
- a CURZON Member, the Membership Terms and Conditions also apply.
Note that third parties’ terms and conditions may also apply to you (see points 10 “Social Media” and 11 “Third Party Links” below).
3. When and what information is collected?
When you access our websites
When you visit our websites, we will collect data about your use of our websites via cookies and web beacons (see point 10 below). This information helps us to ensure we can deliver the best experience possible to you. Examples of the information we collect include the pages on the website you visit, the banners and/or adverts you may click and your location such as via your IP addresses.
In addition, the following system information (“System Information”) may be collected too: usage statistics, system logs, performance and security data, records of support requests, and aggregated data about how the CURZON ‘s Channels are used (e.g. performance counters, access logs, metrics, associated metadata, unique identifiers for devices, technical information about the devices you use, the network, operating system and browser). This may contain limited information about your registration, where information such as email addresses or usernames appear in log records.
When you register
We collect information on you if you choose to register, to create an account, to become a CURZON Member or receive ongoing updates from CURZON (e.g. newsletter). The registration process identifies the fields mandatory for your registration, they represent the minimum information needed; you may fill the other fields at your discretion.
Here is the list of information you provide to us about you, or that is collected in connection with:
- the creation and administration of your account: your name, username, address, phone number, email address, billing and transaction information, password, personal contact information, the date you opened/closed your account, information when you contact us, and the access and services we provide to you;
- CURZON Membership registration: name, password, postal address, email address, home or mobile number (optional), date of birth, gender, preferred cinema, preferred genres, newsletter preferences, membership card number and transaction history; and
- any permissions, consents or preferences that you give us.
You may unsubscribe at any time as set out in (point 15 “Unsubscribe” below).
When you purchase
If you choose to purchase any good or services through the CURZON Channels, we will collect transaction details including your name, details of your order, contact information you provided which will be held and used to fulfil your order, notify you of the status of your order (e.g. sending you a confirmation email); all of this information will be sent to our web servers (using encrypted HTTPS SHA-256 with RSA or better encryption).
Where you make a purchase by credit/debit card via:
- Curzon cinemas: MasterCard (or other entities providing the same service) will process your credit/debit card transaction in accordance with DSS PCI requirements (note that CURZON is never in possession of your full card number and you should never provide your four-digit pin number to anyone);
- Curzon Home Cinema/Curzon On Demand: Stripe will process your payments on CURZON’s behalf in accordance with DSS PCI compliance requirements.
Surveys, Competitions and Giveaways
On our website and blog and through survey questionnaires you may be able to participate in surveys, competitions, giveaways and promotions. We may ask you for information such as name, email, address, your interests, preferences and feedback and survey responses. We use the information you provide to administer competitions and giveaways and other promotions.
When you express an interest in working for CURZON
When you visit our Cinema venues
When visiting our cinemas, our CCTV system may record your image. CCTV will only be viewed when necessary (for example, to detect or prevent crime) and footage is stored for a limited period, after which it is recorded over. We are happy to provide you with free access to our Wi-Fi when you visit our CURZON cinemas. When using the Wi-Fi, we may collect data about:
- your name, email address and device;
- the volume of data, which you use;
- the websites and applications which you access; and
- your usage by access time, frequency and location.
4. How we use the information we collect?
We may use some of the information that we hold about you to send you information about our, and our group companies’, products and services. In most circumstances we will only do this if we have your consent, but there may be some situations where we have a legitimate interest in doing so (being a business or commercial reason that does not go unfairly against your rights). For example, if you have booked a ticket to an event, which is cancelled, we would wish to contact you directly to inform you of the change and your rights to a refund.
The data you provide to us is stored in a number of external systems – such as our box office system, payment providers and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems. We have agreements in place with all third party providers which ensure they meet EU data security standards.
With all this information safely stored, we will refer to it to open, administer, run and improve your account and CURZON’s Channels, including dealing with enquiries you may have; and, we will analyse purchase history, web browsing data and lifestyle data to tailor our marketing communications, website presentation and internet advertising to meet your preferences. For example, if you have purchased a ticket to see a film in one of our cinemas, we may wish to inform you via email that a film by the same director is available on Curzon Home Cinema/Curzon On Demand.
Separately, personal data and information collected via CCTV in operation in our Curzon venues will be used to provide assistance to the police and enforcement agencies to detect, deter and prevent crime and disorder; to help identify, apprehend and prosecute offenders; to provide the police/council with evidence to enable criminal and/or civil proceedings to be brought in the courts; and to maintain public order.
Description of uses, purpose with their associated lawful basis
|What use?||What purpose||Our legal reason|
|Fulfilling our contractual obligations to you|
We use account and System Information
|Support and maintenance of the CURZON Channels|
We use account and System Information
We use account and System Information in following our legitimate interests
5. Is your personal information shared with others?
We will not share personal information with third parties except as listed here, subject always to appropriate safeguards to protect your personal information and will not pass it onto any other party without consent or valid grounds:
- our employees, our group of companies, professional advisors or prospective buyer or financier and similar professionals;
- individuals or companies performing obligations on our behalf (e.g. Box Office systems, administration of our websites);
- professional advisers performing analysis, report, project to improve goods and services we offer; and/or, to improve the CURZON Channels;
- third parties you agreed to share your information with. For instance, in our Bloomsbury cinema, a screening room is dedicated to documentaries selected by Bertha DocHouse. If you choose to share your information with Bertha DocHouse (opting in when purchasing a ticket), we will share your information with them via secure Application Programming Interface (API). Please contact Bertha DocHouse, to determine their use of your information.
- third party social media platforms (such as Facebook) to see if you are a registered user of their services and match them with information they hold about you to identify the portion of their users who share similar interests to you, to send to such other users advertising and promotions about CURZON products and services in accordance with their own privacy policies; or
- to the extent necessary to comply with requests from the police, the law or a valid court order of a court with competent jurisdiction or comply with legal obligations.
Anonymised or pseudonymised information may be shared with business partners or sponsors for analysis, ensuring that your identity is not revealed.
6. Do we collect children’s data?
The CURZON Channels are not intended for use by children. We understand the importance of protecting children’s information, especially online, and we do not knowingly collect or maintain information about children.
Please note that you must be over 18 years of age to register to any of the CURZON Channels except for the CURZON Student Membership (see Membership Terms and Conditions). If you are under 18, please ask a parent or guardian to register and remain liable on your behalf.
7. Is any sensitive personal information collected?
We do not intentionally collect any sensitive personal information via the CURZON Channels unless it is required to do so, for example, for recruitment purposes.
Please do not send or share information revealing your racial or ethnic origin; political opinions; religious or philosophical beliefs.
8. How can you update your information?
We would like you to keep your personal information up-to-date, please do so either by updating your account online or informing us. You may request a copy of your personal information (see point 14 “Controlling your Data”).
9. How is your information transferred and stored?
We rely on our legitimate business interests for the storage, maintenance and processing of your personal information. To operate our group effectively we use shared systems, resources and sub-contractors so Account and System Information may be transferred to these parties, stored or processed outside the European Economic Area or the country where you or a user is located. Where we do so we will ensure that any transfer is subject to appropriate safeguards.
10. How do cookies and web beacons work?
The personal information collected (including via cookies) may be used:
- to carry out our obligations under the contract(s) between us (e.g. contract for the purchase of ticket(s) or Membership Agreement); and/or,
- to determine your use of the CURZON Channels and your interests so we can tailor more relevant advertising or services to you; and/or,
- to improve goods and services offered by CURZON; and/or,
- to improve CURZON Websites and/or CURZON Social Media.
What is a cookie?
A “cookie” is technology that allows storage of small units of information (an ‘identifier’) in your browser while you are using the CURZON Channels. Cookies are not used to determine the personal identity of anyone merely visiting the CURZON Websites but they have various functions.
What cookies do we use?
The cookies used by the our website perform four functions:
- Essential/Strictly Necessary cookies for the functioning of our websites (e.g. facilitating bookings or remembering your log-in details).
- Performance and design cookies to measure how many times a page has been visited, what device was used, whether a page has been visited through an advertisement or by other means. We use Google Analytics that resorts to cookies to analyse your use of our websites. Google will store, use, and evaluate the information to compile reports on the activity generated by our websites.
- Functionality cookies to remember your settings, which you may have selected, or assist with other functionality when you browse and use our websites. This helps us to remember what you have selected, so on your return visit we remember your preferences.
- Targeting and Tracking Cookies to help us understand your interests as you browse the internet, so we can tailor and deliver to you a more personalised service in the future. This assists us in delivering relevant advertising to you during various advertising campaigns we may run from time to time through participating third party sites.
How do I disable cookies?
If you do not want to receive cookies from our websites, you have the option of setting your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, so that you may determine whether to accept it or not. However, please be aware that turning off ‘cookies’ in your browser, may prevent you from experiencing some of our websites’ features (e.g. making a purchase may not be possible).
What are Web Beacons?
We may occasionally advertise on third party web sites. As part of our effort to track the success of our advertising campaigns, we may at times use a visitor identification technology such as “web beacons,” or “action tags,” which count visitors who have come to our websites after being exposed to a banner ad on a third party site. We do not use this technology to access your personal information and it is only used to compile aggregated statistics about visitors to gauge the effectiveness of our ads.
By navigating on our websites, you agree that we can place cookies and web beacons on your computer or device. If you prefer not to, then you should stop using our websites, or consult your browsing settings.
11. What about Social Media?
You may wish to participate in the various blogs, forums, wikis and other social media platforms hosted by CURZON (“Social Media”), for instance:
We use Social Media mainly to facilitate our communication with you.
Note that we cannot be held responsible if the information you share on Social Media platforms is subsequently used, misused or otherwise appropriated by another user; and, we make no representations or warranties regarding how user data is stored or used on third-party servers.
12. What about third party links?
13. How you can help keep your information secure?
You should treat any username, passwords, membership ID and other account information that you have entered on or provided to us as confidential and keep them secure; do not disclose any of them to any third party.
If you are aware of an unauthorised use of your information, please inform us immediately. We reserve the right to disable your registration and/or account at any time should a security concern arises.
14. How can you control your information?
How long we will keep your personal information for?
We will keep your information for as long as you are a customer of ours. After you stop being a customer, we may retain your information for our legitimate interests, including maintaining records required for legal or regulatory reasons, showing that we complied with our contractual obligations, responding to any complaints or queries, and for research and statistical purposes. We will ensure its confidentiality where we do so.
Understanding the information we hold about you
Correcting information we hold about you
You have the right to question any data we hold about you if you think it is wrong or incomplete. We’d actually actively encourage you to do this to make sure what we do hold is accurate, up-to-date and relevant. Please contact us at [email protected] we will then investigate them and correct them where relevant. Please ensure that the title of your email is “Correcting my information”.
Stopping us processing your information
You have the right to object to how we’re using your data, or to ask us to delete, erase or stop processing it if there’s no reason for us to use it.
Note however that:
- there may be legal or regulatory reasons why we’re processing it,
- we may be processing it in order to fulfil our contractual obligations.
If you want to get in contact for the reasons set out in this section, please do so at [email protected]. Please make sure your email is titled “Erasure of my personal data”.
Restricting the ways in which we process your information
You have the right to ask us to restrict how we’re processing your information if:
- it is not accurate
- it is been used unlawfully but you don’t want us to delete it
- it is not relevant anymore but you want to keep it as records
- you have asked us to delete it and are waiting for us to confirm if we have a lawful reason for using it
If you want to get in contact for the reasons set out in this section, please do so at [email protected] Please make sure your email is titled “Restriction of the use of my personal data”.
15. How can you unsubscribe?
CURZON gives you choices regarding the usage of your personal information. If you have registered for any related updates through our websites, and do not wish to receive future emails, you can unsubscribe at any time via the link at the bottom of all emails.
You are currently required to unsubscribe from each individual subscription you have signed up to in order to stop being contacted by CURZON. For example, if you unsubscribe from www.curzoncinemas.com, you may be contacted by homecinema.curzon.com if you have agreed to communications.
Note that you may change the settings in your browser if you wish not to be part of any analysis of your user journey.
16. How can you make a complaint?
If you have any concerns or complaints with how we have processed your data, please do contact us as soon as you can at [email protected]. You also have a right to complain to the Information Commissioners’ Office, the UK’s data protection regulator. You can find out more about this right here: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
17. How can you contact us?
CURZON Cinemas and Curzon Home Cinema / Curzon On Demand
We’re Curzon Cinemas Limited. We’re a limited liability company registered in England and Wales (number 00283280). Our registered office is 20-22 Stukeley Street, London, WC2B 5LR, United Kingdom. Our VAT number is GB 888506472. You can contact us with questions relating to this policy at [email protected].
Curzon Artificial Eye
We’re Curzon Film World Limited. We’re a limited liability company registered in England and Wales (number 01243421). Our registered office is 20-22 Stukeley Street, London, WC2B 5LR, United Kingdom. Our VAT number is GB 234826949. You can contact us with questions relating to this policy at [email protected]
When contacting us we strongly recommend you don’t email us confidential or personal information. If you do, it’s at your own risk although the terms of this policy will apply to our use of that information. For general enquiries please contact [email protected]
Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we are able to disclose information to you.
18. Please note that we do not make any warranties
CURZON does not guarantee that the transmission of personal information via the Internet is secure and such transmission is at your own risk. Once transmitted, your personal information will be stored on secure servers and payment encrypted.
19. What laws apply?
Please note that these terms, their subject matter and formation (and any non- contractual disputes or claims) are governed by the laws of England and Wales. We both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction.